The Parade, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, SA61 1PC
Email: [email protected]
For our latest news and photos please visit our Facebook page.
Haverfordwest bowling club was founded in 1934 on land in the shadow of St.Thomas a Becket church overlooking the river Cleddau. It is part of the Town’s recreation facilities which includes parks, tennis courts as well as the best bowling green in the County of Pembrokeshire. The following is an extract from the book “Through my Eyes” all about the history of Haverfordwest Bowling club, written by our very own Peter Howells, a bowler of some repute!
Back in 1928, little did former proprietor of the West Wales Guardian Mr.J.W.Hammond, prominent businessman Mr.Leslie Ellis, and Mr.John Nicholas, owner of Commerce House (In those days, one of the largest stores in West Wales), realise what they would achieve when they formed the Haverfordwest & District Recreation Company Limited. They purchased some land from Mrs.Annie Davies of Mount Hermon farm. It consisted of two fields, the upper and lower field. The idea was to develop a bowling green and two tennis courts on the land.
Bowls had been played in Haverfordwest a long time before the club as we know it, was formed.
Back in 1820, a modern building was erected adjoining the Castle, it was to be used to house prisoners. It was built on an area of ground that had previously been used ‘partly as a bowling green and partly as gardens’
By 1930 the Company found itself in serious financial difficulty and sought the assistance from the local town council (known as the Corporation). There followed many meetings between the two, it protracted until 1932 when the Company lost patience and finally offered the land to the Corporation for nothing, as long as they proceeded with the scheme originally planned. The generous offer was accepted and Haverfordwest Bowling Club was now becoming more than just a dream.
By 1933, a tender from Messrs Conway Limited of £562 and 8 shillings for the laying of the bowling green was accepted. Later in the year, the borough surveyor was reporting that the green was nearing completion and that perhaps the council should advertise for an experienced man to care for the green and the surrounds planned for the park.
The Parade as we know it, was beginning to take shape.................................
TO READ MORE BUY THE BOOK !! (Copies obtainable from clubhouse at reasonable cost)